Friday, May 9, 2008

The Big Surprise!

So I first have to thank all the people I have tortured the last few months on our decision about what kind of dog we should get. I really took all your opinions to heart and did a lot of research and we did decide on a Cairn Terrier. For those of you that do not know my process I had a few things I was looking for in our next dog very first how well they are with children, minimal to no shedding (Marc was afraid of how I was with Jackson, not a happy homemaker) and we wanted Dylan to be able to handle him or her full grown- so not very big. I knew I did not want certain breeds and I signed up for emails to adopt puppies but nothing was hitting me. I narrowed it down to three: Cockapoo (I really thought this is what we would get) a Shelti or a Cairn terrier. I called the surgeon that did all of Jackson's surgeries and he highly spoke of the Cairn Terrier but kept telling me not to start looking at other Terriers only the Cairn. Anyway they are excellent with kids, live a long healthy life are about 18 pounds -but his paws are pretty big, and do not shed at all. The other bonus is they do not have to be groomed the normal way getting hair cuts but having the dead hair essentially pulled a couple times a year. He said Cockapoos a hit or miss not the two best breeds mixed together and we went to see some and I was not impressed with how the parents were acting. His next was a Shelti and my Aunt Jeanine also loves Sheltis. Marc really did not like the way they looked and they shed but I called on some to just see. Anyway we finally decided and were able to pick him up on the day we were having Dylan's party. So I was excited to do it as a gift for him. Oh a Cairn Terrier is what Toto was. Saturday morning right before the party Marc and I met the lady and brought him home. He stayed in the garage in a kennel until their was only 10 minutes left then we carried him out in a box with a ribbon wrapped around. Marc brought it out and handed it to Dylan and said so sweetly, "here you go buddy" Wendy and I both started tearing up. She has an excuse about to have a baby I do not know what my problem was! When he opened the box I did not get the reaction I was expecting. He was a little shocked I think, but was extremely happy! It has been a week and so far he is doing excellent! Sleeping through the night doing great with his potty training and has not destroyed anything yet...










2 comments:

Cronin Family said...

Congrats on the dog! He looks so cute, what did you name him/her? And, happy birthday to Dylan.

Jamelle Kelly said...

so cute!! We are trying to decide on a puppy for Naomi. She wants one so bad and she needs a "brother" as she calls it.