Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Lemon Curd



I have seen this on a couple blogs and got the brilliant idea to make a ton of it and package it cutely and pass some out to all the women in my ward on Easter Sunday. It was pretty easy except I always decide to do things like this last minute. It started Friday I made some to smear in between a lemon cake I made for our dinner on Sunday and thought it would be cute to share because I did not need very much! Anyway my hunt for a cute and inexpensive way to store it in was the trickiest part. I had wanted tiny glass jars with lids but could only find a few and they were .99 and i needed about 40 so walking through Michaels I saw the terra cotta pots on sale for 3 for .99 much better! I put the lemon curd in a dixie bathroom cup and then in the pot covered with a clear wrap tied with a bow and matching label on top. Here is the recipe:

3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

1T grated lemon zest

3/4 cup sugar

3 eggs

1/2 cup unsalted butter

In a saucepan combine all ingredients and cook over medium heat (if the heat is too high the eggs will curdle). Cook 6-10 min and occasionally whisk until thick enough to hold marks from the whisk (about the consistency of pudding- it will thicken more as it sits after done cooking, I found I kept cooking to get it thicker and then the eggs would curdle anyway)

It can stay in the fridge for about 3 months. Spread on your favorite cake, in between layers of a cake or on a piece of toast! Enjoy!

No comments: