Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tomorrow...

So we a starting a new chapter in the Schafer family tomorrow. No more being lazy in the mornings- or late nights either! I will have to be up around six because Dylan has his first day of Kindergarten! These last five years have been wonderful, he is my little buddy and I am going to miss him terribly! It is a big deal for me (and him)! Today he had assessment testing at noon and around ten I found myself crying! We went to the assessment and when he was done I went to introduce myself to the teacher and started crying again! What is my deal?! I knew it would be hard but I did not think I would start the day before school! He has not seemed to notice and is excited to start. He will go from 8am-3pm (which I think is too long)! I feel we are ready though!

We searched high and low for the perfect backpack and thanks to Tracie's help we found one from LLBean that we really like. His lunch is packed, a whole peanut butter and jelly sandwich cut into fourths, a reusable cupcake liner filled with raspberries, carrot sticks with hummus to dip them in and a cheese stick. The sandwich is in a plastic container and the rest is in one of those little metal lunch boxes all placed inside his lunch bag which is like a brown paper bag made out of oil cloth. (trying to limit our waste, and I will add pictures later)

Tomorrow is supposed to be only sixty degrees so his first day of school outfit is going to have to wait and he does not own a pair of jeans without holes, so off to cold stone and old navy after his assessment testing. That made me feel better!

Tonight we read The Kissing Hand by Audrey Wood and I had to make Marc read it because I new I would start to cry. (If you have never read it I highly recommend it for a child that is starting anything new.) I was doing the dishes and listening to them in the other room when I felt the tears and then I heard Dylan's ewww gross comment and I had to chuckle. Everything we are doing is for me! His personality does not need all this preparation, well, we will see tomorrow morning.

For breakfast tomorrow I am going to make a smiley face on his plate with pancakes for the eyes, bacon for the hair, a mango nose and a banana mouth. When he gets home from school I found some first day of school cupcakes I am going to make for him. I will take pictures instead of describing them, all I can say is so dang cute!

I hope I can keep it together tomorrow! Marc is going with us so it should be fun! Wish us luck! And no rain in the morning so we can walk as scheduled.

3 comments:

Debi said...

You got me thinking about Jessica's first day of Kindergarten... oh the tears! Good luck :)

Mahaffey Family said...

Good luck! That first day is always hardest for the mom I think!

Anne said...

Did they start you guys on a Friday? Wow, I have felt a lot of those same emotions this week as my kids have started school. I totally understand what you mean when you say that most of the things you are doing are more for you than for them... I swear I have more emotions about all this than they do! They are just excited to go. You are a fabulous mom. I love you guys.